Re: a few q's

On Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 02:11:16PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> JR> The 022 setting is more 'user-friendly' for systems that
> JR> have groups with multiple users.
>
> Yes, but one has to change the default debian behaviour to get
> this. 002 is reasonable with the default setup. If you change the default, you
> have to change everything related. If you don't know the consequences
> of a change, don't do it.

In my experience, if you're in a special group you usually DO need
to share write access to files anyway. I worked on a project with
8 other students last year, where we had a team group, and
everyone was also in the general 'students' group (so umask 022 was
used). We spent half our lives making sure file permissions were
correct on that project. With Debian, you can leave it at 002 because
for group work, it'll be ok, but it still protects your individual work.

At my new job I am forever playing with permissions, making everything
read/writable to EVERYONE. Need to make things read/write to access
them on special DOS boxes and the like.

Hamish