Re: Debian violates GPL?

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> > > The primary obstacle to this is that the .orig.tar.gz can change from
> > > one Debian revision to another, without changing name.  Schemes for
> > > dealing with this quickly grow to Byzantine complexities.
> >
> > Hmm. Should this be disallowed?

No, certainly not.  There are plenty of valid reasons to alter a
.orig.tar.gz, e.g. switching to or from pristine source, removing,
adding or modifying binary files, etc.

> > A new debian revision should mean a revision of the DEBIAN part of
> > the package -- the diff only.
>
> Actually, a few weeks ago, I accidentally uploaded an .orig.tar.gz
> (for gnome-libs) that differed from what was already installed in the
> ftp archive.  Luckily, it got rejected.  So I'm not sure that it is
> possible to have multiple .orig.tar.gz files with the same name.

No, it's very possible, you just have to explicitly enable such
changes; your upload got rejected because you didn't pass `-sa' to
dpkg-buildpackage.

--
James