Re: a few q's

On Sat, Dec 19, 1998 at 09:37:09AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> > JR> The 022 setting is more 'user-friendly' for systems that
> > JR> have groups with multiple users.
> >
> > Would we loose some functionality, if we change the default?
>
> IMHO, it's less user-friendly for systems with groups that have multiple
> users. If I'm in an app-dev group or somesuch, I probably _want_ the
> other people in my group to be able to work on files for that group. Not
> so easy if you umask is 022. But if it's 002 and the directory is sgid,
> things work nicely. And since files are created with a user group by
> default, it doesn't hurt anything security-wise.

Discla(i)mer: I only expressed MHO, I didn't propose a change :)

It all depends. If you separate users in groups by their affiliations,
then 002 is better. If you separate users in group by their marital
status, stupidity or sth, then 022 is better.

Lets drop the whole discussion, we can't satisfy everyone, and it is
only a oneliner setting that can be changed.
Once again, I propose closing (or wishlisting) relevant bug, because
it leads us nowhere. EOT :|