Re: [Re: Nomination talks] IRC is unacceptable

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 06:10:14PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Right now #debian seems to be busy bagging NT; why should I be interested?
> I don't really go for the c00l d00d handles thing either.

THE CHANNEL ISNT MODUR8D BY SUM K1NDA TOPIC COP. BECAUSE MOST UV THE
D00DZ THEY'RE VALUE HAV1NG THE FREEDOM 2 DISCUSZ WUTEVUR TICKLEZ THERE
FANCY.  THE GENURAL TREND UV CONVURSASHUN 1Z GUIDED BY A K1NDA
SUMI-VOLUNTARY NATURAL SELECSHUN PROCESZ -- 1F U DONT LA1K WUTZ BEING
DISCUSSED. BR1NG UP SUMTHING MORE C00L.  IF FOLKZ ON THE CHANNEL
ARE JUST BASH1NG MIKROSOFT THEN IT PROBABLY MEANZ THE1R STARVED 4
SUMTH1NG MORE ENGAGING 2 1NTERFACE ABOUT, WHY NOT BRING UP SUMTH1NG
URSELF???

ADDISHUNALY. THE PURPUZE UV HANDLEZ IZ TO 1DENTIFY D00DZ + AVOID
COL1SIONS,  THEAR R LOTZ OF D00DZ CALED "JOHN" OR "STEVE". 4
INSTANCE. SO WHY NOT LET THUMN USE A HANDLE??  AND ONCE UVE DONE THAT.
WHY NOT LET THUM P1CK WUTEVUR HANDLE THEY WANT?!?1?!?  FOR D00DZ WITH PROPURLY
CONFIGURED 1RC CLIENTS. A SIMPLE /WHO1Z NICNA1M WIL REVEAL THERE REAL
1DENTITY. IF THEY GOTNT DEL1BUR8LY TRIED 2 CONCEAL IT,

BECAUSE UV UR SHALOW + 1GNORANT CHARACTURIZASHUN UV THE PURPUZE UV IRC
N1CNA1MS. TH1S MESSAGE IZ BROTTA U BY B1FF.

<original follows>

The channel isn't moderated by some kind of topic cop, because most of the
people there value having the freedom to discuss whatever tickles their
fancy.  The general trend of conversation is guided by a kind of
semi-voluntary natural selection process -- if you don't like what's being
discussed, bring up something more interesting.  If folks on the channel
are just bashing Microsoft then it probably means they're starved for
something more engaging to talk about; why not bring up something yourself?

Additionally, the purpose of handles is to identify people and avoid
collisions.  There are lots of people called "John" or "Steve", for
instance, so why not let themn use a handle?  And once you've done that,
why not let them pick whatever handle they want?  For people with properly
configured IRC clients, a simple /whois nickname will reveal their real
identity, if they haven't deliberately tried to conceal it.

Because of your shallow and ignorant characterization of the purpose of IRC
nicknames, this message is brought to you by B1FF.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |     We either learn from history or,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |     uh, well, something bad will happen.