Re: Filesystem and archive changes

> > Is there any good way to make this transition easier other than putting
> > the package up for download 2 weeks before uploading it to master and
> > asking people to use it to fix their packages?  Perhaps a half-breed of
> > the old libs for compatibility?  (I realize this would be a major
> > undertaking, but perhaps the best solution?)
>
> Can 2.0 and 2.1 coexist?
>
> A lot of packages have already been tested on glibc2.1 due to the
> efforts of porters to glibc2.1-only architectures. Tested for compilation,
> at least.

This depends -- for i386 -- how stable glibc-2.1 is!? I use it (on powerpc)
since january and it is stable.

The easierst way is to setup the auto-compiler (wanna-build from Roman) for
i386 with the new libc and let it start to build all packages with glibc-2.1.

One little problem for this: it should'nt upload to stable/frozen.

After two or three days nearly all packages are available for i386 and
glibc-2.1. Nearly means: ~255 packages are not available; ~150 packages
have one or both of this errors: (the rest are dependencies errors)

1. strxxx (strdup, strstr, ...) errors
   Fix: if possible, remove the strxxx prototypes from the source and
        include <string.h>     (very easy!!!)
2. invalid initializer error
   This comes from the globally initialisation of variables with stderr,
   stdin or stdout. example:

   FILE *examp = stdin;

   int main(void)
   {
   }
---------
   To fix this:

   FILE *examp;

   int main(void)
   {
     examp = stdin;
   }

This is also very easy!!!!

This is work for potato, so the machine should use only egcs, glibc-2.1
and a 2.1.x kernel. Please use egcs also for c-source, not only for
c++ source and remove the old gcc.

Have we a 'free' i386 developing machine for this stuff? Some developer
will like to have an account on this machine.

This work must not start with the buildd; if someone fetch base/*, devel/*
and libs/* and start compiling it, this will be enough for the first time.

MfG,

    Hartmut