Re: Filesystem and archive changes

At 20:04 -0800 1998-12-12, Joseph Carter wrote:
Slink is down to around 50 bugs, it's time to start talking about what we
want to do with potato.

I want to make a pretty major change in potato, I want to move all architectures to glibc 2.1. I want to do this for several reasons, most being new features such as IPv6, NIS+, large file API (64-bit filesizes, useful for sparc64 and alpha at this point, may start working for 32-bit architectures in 2.3 kernels), and UNIX98 pty support (and weirdly, better libc5 compatibility in the area of utmp and wtmp, glibc 2.1 has a utmpd that can even cope with libc5 programs that directly write to utmp or wtmp), and for another more important reason, glibc 2.0.x probably will not have another official release.

Unfortunately there's a nasty catch, due to libstdc++ ABI differences between glibc 2.0 and glibc 2.1, all C++ code will need to be relinked when the move is made, in theory it is possible for the older libstdc++ to be kept around and have it work with older binaries, but in practice that doesn't seem to work.

Anything besides C++ code should work fine, thanks to the magic of ELF symbol versioning.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>