Re: Filesystem and archive changes

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 10:23:10PM -0800, Joel Klecker wrote:
> >Slink is down to around 50 bugs, it's time to start talking about what we
> >want to do with potato.
>
> I want to make a pretty major change in potato, I want to move all
> architectures to glibc 2.1.

If we're going to move to 2.2.x kernel, glibc 2.1 is not only a good idea
but pretty important actually.

> I want to do this for several reasons, most being new features such
> as IPv6, NIS+, large file API (64-bit filesizes, useful for sparc64
> and alpha at this point, may start working for 32-bit architectures
> in 2.3 kernels), and UNIX98 pty support (and weirdly, better libc5
> compatibility in the area of utmp and wtmp, glibc 2.1 has a utmpd
> that can even cope with libc5 programs that directly write to utmp or
> wtmp), and for another more important reason, glibc 2.0.x probably
> will not have another official release.

All good reasons.

> Unfortunately there's a nasty catch, due to libstdc++ ABI differences
> between glibc 2.0 and glibc 2.1, all C++ code will need to be
> relinked when the move is made, in theory it is possible for the
> older libstdc++ to be kept around and have it work with older
> binaries, but in practice that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Anything besides C++ code should work fine, thanks to the magic of
> ELF symbol versioning.

Is there any good way to make this transition easier other than putting
the package up for download 2 weeks before uploading it to master and
asking people to use it to fix their packages?  Perhaps a half-breed of
the old libs for compatibility?  (I realize this would be a major
undertaking, but perhaps the best solution?)

--
"You're despicable."  -- Daffy Duck