Re: DPLs : what do you think about ...

On Tue, Dec 15, 1998 at 03:24:27AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 09:48:18AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Then don't help. [...]
>
> *boggle*
>
> My apologies. I've been trying not to throw my two cents in to the
> leadership wrangles -- I know others both have a better idea about what
> Debian needs in a leader, and how to tell if the various contendors
> have got it. Me, I know next to nothing.

Throw your two cents in, everyone else is.  =>

> What I am pretty sure of though is the one phrase we *don't* need is
> ``Then don't help.''

I tend to agree.  I'm sorry Ben but I've been following this debate and
I'm a worried at this.  I'm not trying to sling mud here, but I really
thought the point was that everyone should help as best they can in
whatever capacity they can.  I have no release critical bugs but I have
bugs and I want to fix them in slink.  I haven't abandoned slink for
potato and a lot of us haven't.  But those who need to work right on into
potato and don't have outstanding bugs need to work right on into potato
and what they can do for slink when they can.

> As a volunteer organisation, we need help. As one which is growing more
> rapidly than we can probably cope with, we need help. As one which is
> constantly aflush with contributors bemoaning that they just don't have
> as much time to dedicate to Debian as they'd like, we need, quite frankly,
> all the help we can get.
>
> And while we certainly want to focus that help towards more critical
> areas, and while we sometimes have to say `no' to offers of assistance
> because we just can't make use of them yet, what we do *not* want to
> start doing is saying `no' just because what they want to do isn't the
> -devel flavour of the month.

Well said aj.

[..]
> Second, I realise that Ben had a "but seriously" following the above.
> Frankly, I don't much care. In my limited experience it's the little
> phrases that just slip out that you've got to watch out for, not the
> rants and raves, or the platforms and policies.

It was probably just a (very) unfortunate choice of words.  Still I will
say I'm worried by it.  =/

--
"Shall we play a game?"  -- WOPR