Re: menu entries (Was Re: Articles mentioning Debian )

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu> writes:

> 	Of course, in the future, menus could allow specifying whether an
> argument can be given or which flags can be given, so that WM's can use the
> info to build menus or launchers, perhaps interactively.  Thats my project
> number 5431 .

This sounds related to one GNU project: supporting completion of long
options in the shell.

There was a discussion about this on a private mailing list.  No
consensus was reached on how to get the argument syntax passed to the
shell.  One possibility would be to extend argument-parsing libraries
such as argp and popt to produce program-parseable output from --help
if special environment variables are set.  Or the argument structure
could be saved in a special section of the executable.