Re: intent to package [mp3]encoder

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 11:08:17AM +0800, Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:
<snip>
>   There's a number of issues with this. Firstly, the Fraunhoffer
> patent. The author is in Sweden, and has not been contacted by
> Fraunhoffer; apparently Swedish laws do not allow patenting of the
> algorithm. Can we distribute it?

I'd check with debian-legal on this one, if it truly is patent free in
Sweden then perhaps, but I'm in no way a expert in this area, thats for
sure..

>   Secondly, the package is named 'encoder', and produces a single
> binary named 'encode'. Does this count as namespace pollution?

I'd suggest picking a new binary (and possibly package) name, if it
raises the question, chances are you have the answer..

>   And last, there's no copyright notice in the package. I am in touch
> with the author, and don't believe that there will be any particular
> issue with correcting this; my question is do we require a copyright
> notice to appear in the source distribution (necessitating a new
> release), or is it adequate to include, eg, an email granting us
> permission to redistribute and modify freely?

Erm, a little touchy, specificly if you want it to go in main..
Specificly section 8 of the DFSG may apply to this..

    8. License Must Not Be Specific to Debian
       The rights attached to the program must not depend on the
       program's being part of a Debian system. If the program is
       extracted from Debian and used or distributed without Debian but
       otherwise within the terms of the program's license, all parties
       to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights
       as those that are granted in conjunction with the Debian system.

Hopefully it should not be a huge deal..

Zephaniah E, Hull.