Re: [Re: Nomination talks] IRC is unacceptable

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 03:52:12PM +0100, J.H.M. Dassen Ray" wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 12:37:28 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Sorry, but IRC is the best way to see what a person is really like
>
> I'm not sure I agree with this. I think it is more like: IRC, being much
> more closer to synchronous communication, offers a different perspective on
> what a person is like than what you get from email alone.

Well, it's my opinion that real time conversation can show you alot more
than email. When you put some one on the spot you have a chance to see
what they are made of, pressure them, till they break down into tears and
cuddle up into a fetal position in the nearest corner.

Over email ppl have time to think things out, come up with the answers
that can get them out of a bad spot and formulate replies which can lead
you to think they were right all along (how many times have you forgotten
what some one said at the beggining of a thread and had to go back and
look).

> Speaking for myself, I'm not a native speaker of English. Although I have
> the impression that my level of English is acceptable, I find it often
> easier to express myself over mail than on IRC, as with mail I have time to
> think about how I want to phrase things, which takes away some of the

Getting your ideas across clearly and without error is something that
everyone has problems with :) Email or writing is the best way to handle
things that require strict interpretation. Even the best english speakers
sound kind of illiterate on IRC sometimes (i have a bad case of my fingers
disappearing when important letters are needed).

thanks,
  Ben

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org