Re: [Re: Nomination talks] IRC is unacceptable

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 09:29:18AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>   >Even better, a week's notice, on debian-devel-announce. Quite seriously.
>   >I don't mind IRC discussions, but I do mind impromptu ones where
>   >other developers miss out.
>
> No, IRC is no good for those of us who have to pay for telephone
> connection.  It's an horrendously uneconomical use of connection time.
>
> Until Europe has free local calls I will oppose any move to have
> important discussions in an area from which we are effectively excluded.

No one has made any plans to talk about important things on IRC as far as
the nominees. However, you cannot expect us to just keep our mouths shut
if we are asked a question on IRC. Most of the questions are just
clarification of a statement made on the list any way.

Sorry, but IRC is the best way to see what a person is really like, and
those ppl who have that access have every right to make use of it to get
to know us better and find out what we really think by putting us on the
spot. When a person doesn't have the time to think out their answers as in
email, you will see a much better perspective on their thinking. IRC
should not be counted out just as email or even phone calls shouldn't be
based on the importance of this issue.

cheers,
  Ben

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org