Re: Nomination

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 07:59:27PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>             4.  On which occassion, and how, have you helped the Debian
>                 project achieve a higher technical standard ?

Now this is an excellent question :)

Thus far my contributions have been very indirect and transparent. One of
the reason I became a developer was that I was so involved with projects
related to debian that I felt I could serve as a developer very well.

I have done alot of work with porting dpkg/dselect to other operating
systems, mainly Solaris, and I am currently working on IRIX as well as
AIX. This has not had any direct impact on debian's technical standards,
but I hope to soon be able to share my results with the dpkg maintainers
in hopes broadening dpkg's scope as well as it's user base.

This could prove to be the stepping stone for alot of places converting
from proprietary OS's to a completely Linux based one (Debian of course).

I could go on about other things I've done, but none of them directly
relate to the question, so i will not dump alot of unrelated info. Just be
aware that my work for the community in general has a much broader scope
than debian.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org