Re: Policy: Mail folder creation (Re: Debian mutt package)

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 10:05:35PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 10, Oscar Levi <elf@buici.com> wrote:
>  >interpret as is.  Since the spool file will be created automatically
>  >by the MTA there is no error requiring user attention.
> The MTA must be sgid mail to create the spool file. Mutt is not.
> This is another reason to use ~/Mailbox.

That's the point.  The MTA is responsible for creating spool files.
Our policy manual says that MUA are responsible for creating them when
they are absent.  Arguably, this is an inappropriate policy statement.

The simplest change to make would be to correct the behavior of mutt
to stop claiming that the absence of a spool file is an error.