Re: Policy: Mail folder creation (Re: Debian mutt package)

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 03:11:18PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Oscar Levi wrote:
> > Mutt generates an 'error' when there is no spool file.  My assertion
> > has been that this is the incorrect behavior.  It is not an 'error' to
> > have no mail.
>
> If you have no mail mutt will not give an error. If you have no
> mailbox or maildir mutt can't show it to you, so it gives an error.
> This is not incorrect behaviour imho.

>From the user's perspective, it is not an error to have no spool file.
He is unpopular, yes.  The behavior of mailx is more appropriate from
the user's point of view.

An error tends to indicate a anomalous situation that requires
attention, something that the application cannot correct or
interpret as is.  Since the spool file will be created automatically
by the MTA there is no error requiring user attention.

IMHO, it is mutt that is in error here because it should be OK that we
don't create spool files.  Perhaps someone has a machine that receives
no email but has user accounts for another purpose.

I continue to mention this because it is one of those things that will
polish the Debian distribution.  Details are what users and reviewers
notice.  Everyone expects the software to operate correctly and most
distributions will get there eventually.  Polish is something that
requires care and consistent judgement and is often missing when
developers run out of energy.

Cheers.