Re: Uploaded lilo 21-1 (source i386) to master

Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:

> Is this the same lilo 0.21 whose release notes say "This version should
> be considered experimental and used with due precaution"? I question
> whether it should be in slink at all, no matter *who* uploaded it.

I grepped for experimental in the sources and only found one instance,
in the changelog between version 5 and 6.

> Consider that in a very short time (I hope!) we are going to be
> releasing slink, and hordes of people will be doing wholesale upgrades.
> Many of them probably won't even notice that lilo got upgraded until
> their machine won't boot 3 weeks later.

It was uploaded to potato only - new releases generally aren't allowed in
frozen.

> If it fixes important bugs (i.e. those that make it usuable for a class
> of user (machine, whatever) not presently supported, I propose the
> following:

It supports the following new bootdevices:

 - added support for Mylex DAC960 PCI RAID controllers (by Leonard Zubkoff)
 - added support for third to sixth IDE interface

> Am I overreacting? Maybe, but lilo is a key package for a lot of people,
> and recovering from a lilo failure is non-trivial. (Yeah, I know you
> should have a current boot floppy. And I do. But many don't.)

The package was tested before upload as well. I don't think your suggestions
were overreacting, if the package had been put in slink.

	Martin.