Re: Status of Slink

In article <[🔎] 199812080928.KAA11158@ezili.sis.pasteur.fr> you write:
>On Tuesday 8 December 1998, at 10 h 4, the keyboard of "J.H.M. Dassen \(Ray\)"
><jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
>
>> > That C++ linker error that generated all the traffic a few weeks back:
>> >   Have all the packages been fixed/recompiled yet?
>> All that has been done. Current frozen does _not_ suffer from the
>> __register_frame_info problem in any way anymore, to the best of my
>> knowledge.
>
>MANY packages still depend on libc6 >= 2.0.7u (the slink version) which
>prevents them (in an unecessary way) to run on hamm. Developers should
>recompile them against the latest libc6-dev which no longer uses
>incorrect dependencies (which were added because of the
>register_frame_info problem).
>
>It is just recompiling but it has to be done.

Please tell me you're kidding...

hammer:~$ grep 2\.0\.7u /var/lib/dpkg/status | wc
    178    1396   10338

On just the subset of packages installed here, that's 178 that need
libc6 >=2.0.7u. If we're going to mandate recompiling them all, we HAVE to
push slink release back...

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------