Re: Status of Slink

On Tuesday 8 December 1998, at 23 h 8, the keyboard of
stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Steve McIntyre) wrote:

> >MANY packages still depend on libc6 >= 2.0.7u (the slink version) which
> >It is just recompiling but it has to be done.
>
> Please tell me you're kidding...

No, I'm not.

> On just the subset of packages installed here, that's 178 that need
> libc6 >=2.0.7u. If we're going to mandate recompiling them all, we HAVE to
> push slink release back...

You don't have to do it yourself, you don't have to do anything by hand. Every
maintainer of such packages just has to:

cd /the/directory/my-package-1.2.3
dch -n  # (add frozen)
build   # (add coffee here)
dupload --to master ../my-package-1.2.3-1_i386.deb

Why the trouble? Because, otherwise, people will be *forced* to upgrade to
slink, which is not why I use Debian. I use it because it allows me to run new
packages on old systems, unlike f... commercial Unices.