Re: monitorless bird?

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 01:41:38PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:

> Does anyone have a set of modelines and other numbers for this thing?
> XF86Setup has them, but X is still kinda screwed so using that won't work
> well.  =>

I am somewhat experienced in writing modelines, and I am willing to write
some for you to max out the specs of your monitor. Please send me _as much_
data as possible from your monitor (I suppose your graphic card can handle
all your monitor can). Information I need:

Horizontal Refresh, Vertical Refresh (Rang if multisync, otherwise fixed rates)
Bandwidth
Time the monitor needs to reset the beam (if you can't get them, don't worry).

I can try to write good modelines, but you will have to adjust them so the
picture is in the middle of the screen. I will tell you how to do it, it
isn't hard.

> Someone should write a modeline calculator program that used the X server
> and a test pattern, etc.  Something like xvidtune that you can actually use.

This is exactly what I am planning to do. The "parse-xf86config" script in
the X packages is a preparation for this (it will be able to _edit_ the
XF86Config file, too) However, don't hold your breath :)

Marcus