Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

Mitch Blevins <mblevin@debian.org> writes:

> FWIW - I also think that Recommends: sucks.

I always thought dselect should work the way it does now but only for *new*
Recommended packages, but if you manage to exit with some Recommended package
not selected (presumably with `Q') then the next time it should ignore that
dependency.

It shouldn't be hard to implement this, just note which packages were selected
when dselect's selection window is opened and ignore any Recommends from those
packages when exitting.

Incidentally, if you think the Recommends in a2ps isn't necessary file a bug,
if it annoys you it will probably annoy non-developer users too. I've done the
same for sgrep (which used to Recommend wish of all things).

greg