Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Mitch Blevins wrote:

> Craig Sanders wrote:
>
> > i'm opposed to the notion of automating the decision.
>
> It should only be an option to automate it.

fair enough, as long as it doesn't make apt's user-interface overly
complicated.

i think that this functionality is something that might be of some use
to a small number of people, but could be bloody annoying to a lot of
people who have no use for it IF it requires significant changes to the
way dselect and/or apt works.

in other words, i should just be able to ignore it completely if i am
not interested in it.

i would hate to see another annoyance on the level of Recommended
packages. they really really bug me...every time i run dselect i have to
manually un-select the same packages (e.g. i want a2ps but i DO NOT want
tetex...don't have the disk space for tetex)

IMO, Recommends: doesn't provide any value not already provided by
Suggests: or Depends:, it's effectively just a Suggests: that wont take
"No" for an answer.

craig

--
craig sanders