Re: APT [was Re: Is this really the right thing to do?]

Craig Sanders wrote:

> in short, i'm in favour of tools which summarise package status
> information and provide various 'views' of the info, with the aim of
> enabling a system admin to make informed and intelligent decisions.

 I support that also.  The problem is that the info desired:
    (whether or not a package was installed explicitly
     or in response to a dependency)
 cannot be obtained without tracking it using the tool that actually
 did the package selection (apt) and setting a flag for each package
 that is installed on the system.

> i'm opposed to the notion of automating the decision.

It should only be an option to automate it.

-Mitch