Re: New access method for dselect: ``multiftp''

"Jules Bean" <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> --On Wed, Dec 2, 1998 4:29 pm -0800 "Steve Lamb" <morpheus@teleute.ml.org>
> wrote:
> dpkg-ftp
> >
> >> Eh? Starting FTPs automatically?
> >
> >     Forget one little re and it all goes to hell.  I meant restarting FTP.
> It will certainly restart HTTP automatically..

I think he means will APT ever get actual error handling.
One assumes it will eventually.

The specific instance he's referring to is when a transfer is interrupted for
some reason like a PPP link going down. APT will simply give up and exit. In
fact since it exits dselect will clear the screen and if you aren't actually
watching the terminal youwon't have any clue what happened. dpkg-ftp offered
to continue FTP'ing, and if you chose not to it offered to try installing the
packages that were successfully fetched.

Another issue is when some files aren't present in the archive: you have to
repeatedly run update, try to catch which file is causing the error before APT
exits and dselect clears the screen, go into dselect and unselect that
package, rinse, lather, and repeat. APT will refuse to actually install
anything as long as a single package isn't downloadable.

For an intermittent network link dpkg-ftp was really nice, better than
dpkg-http and much better in this respect than APT. Of course I'm using APT
now, but I still pine for those features.

Both dpkg-ftp and APT could use a method for indicating a which prompts the
user wished to see and which the user preferred to automatically bypass.
Perhaps at the start it should ask whether this is an unattended update and
have a configuration file indicating how to behave for attended and unattended
updates respectively.