Re: Bug-squash day (was: Re: Amusing bugreport)

On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 12:58:41AM -0500, Zephaniah E, Hull wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 09:48:17PM -0800, Oscar Levi wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 05:15:52AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> <snip>
> > It appears that most of the critical bugs have to do with libc6.  What
> > a suprise.  It also appears that one of the most severe problems,
> > bug29450 (programs built on slink run no where else), has not been
> > addressed.
>
> This is being addressed, the newer libc6's have this corrected, however
> its broken a few programs, they need to be recompiled..

Is there a list?  I have cycles.

> Someone needs to update the bug report to reflect this..
> >
> > It looks like the only way to come to an agreement about what to so is
> > gonna be an irc chat.  What do you think?
>
> Luckily over IRC you can't lynch people without first thinking about it
> long and hard to travel to wherever that person is.. (=:]

Speaking of lynching, it looks like a good collection of the important
and critical bugs are due to packages that are not being maintained
actively.  Doesn't it make sense to prioritize packages such that we
(Debian) promise that the top-shelf packages will work properly and
that lower-down packages are the responsibility of the maintainer?
Stanley Half-bit may have thought that a package was cool, uploaded it
to bo, and forgotten about it.  It would be a shame to delay a release
because these optional packages have critical or important bugs.