Re: More problems for non-US?

Michael Beattie <mickyb@es.co.nz> writes:

> I see 1984 just around the corner. Here in New Zealand, the new
> credit-card style drivers license has our photo on it. They have
> decided to keep a copy of this photo on their computer
> systems. Raped by the system. Makes me want to live in space.

Here they've quietly switched to requiring you to provide your
fingerprints which are reproduced on the back of your license.  Your
photo is on the front, and I'm sure both are in a computer somewhere.

I'm going to have to get a new license in a year or so, so I'm
thinking about contacting the ACLU.  I know people are lame, but I was
really surprised to discover this new policy had been implemented
without me hearing a *lot* of noise about it.  I'd like to believe
there at least *was* a time when people here would have been up in
arms if the government announced that it was preparing to fingerprint
the entire population.

Further, if I understand things correctly, here they've instituted
"teen curfews" which make it illegal for teens to be outside (in
certain areas?)  during part of the night, and now they're talking
about also making it illegal for teens to drive during those times.
All this when violent crime is at a 30 year low (I believe that's the
figure).

I suppose in the end, this society gets what it deserves...

(Sorry this is off-topic.  I'll shut up now.)