Re: DFSG: Do we really need a rewrite? or Just clarifications? (was Re: DFSG2: The patch exception)

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 12:02:52AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	There are a number of people, myself included, who feel queasy
>  about such a drastic rewrite of the DFSG.

    I am included in that group of queasy people.

> 	If we needs must clarify further, I would prefer leaving the
>  *GUIDELINES* as they are (the DFSG), and calling the new document
>  DFSC (the debian free software criterion), and state in the social
>  contract that the DFSG are clarified by a working document, the DFSC,
>  and the DFSC is meant to be a rules based implementation of the
>  spirit of the DFSG, and mention that Debian actually follows the
>  DFSC when determining whether to include packages in Debian.

    Agreed as long as it is known that the DFSG is where the DFSC comes
from, and not the other way around.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my