Re: New access method for dselect: ``multiftp''

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 12:16:01AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> G'night folks,
>
> who else of you was already in the need to update a system through the
> net, needed to access more than one FTP server (e.g. because non-US or
> non-free wasn't mirrored) *and* couldn't use apt for some (maybe
> strange, I admit) reasons?

  I did (before apt was an option), and hacked dpkg-ftp into dpkg-http. It
already supports multiple ftp:, http:, and file: URLs, as well as web
proxies.  I'm mostly switched over to apt myself though, and will probably
remove dpkg-http from unstable eventually.  What need isn't already
redundantly met by dpkg-ftp, dpkg-http, and apt?  Two reasons to still use
dpkg-http rather than apt are for (weird) authenticating web caches and the
inflexible archive ordering.  It's also useful as a backup for when the C++
library is toast.