Re: Random idea of the day (debian-business)

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 10:25:13AM -0800, David Welton wrote:
> One of the things that might be beneficial, is if more of us could
> work with Debian full time, and be paid for it.  This would be good,
> because then we could spend more time on Debian, and not have to do
> other jobs, that take priority, to support our Debian work.  This is
> one of the things Redhat has going for it (sure, we're better, but
> they're not *bad* - they've been able to extend this opportunity to
> Alan Cox, for example).  As a consequence, Redhat is acting as sort of
> a 'lightning rod' for Linux money.. people want to spend money on
> something, and Redhat is an easy target.  Debian will obviously never

Well, not so much people want to spend money on Linux as invest in Linux.
In this sense a charity or NPO (such as Linux International or even FSF)
isn't much good, eg for Intel. We would HAVE to be commercial to get this
kind of support. And that might take some doing, due to the international
nature of Debian...

> be quite like this, but making it a little easier certainly wouldn't
> hurt...  We don't even sell CD's, which even the FSF does.

Selling CDs would be a great idea. With full books for manuals, etc.
even better!

> Maybe it would be helpful to create a list, and/or we page, as a sort
> of meeting point for those wishing to make money/work with Debian.

I say list+web page, go for it!

> This might fit in nicely with Nils' idea of contacts for Debian
> "partners" on the web pages?
>
> Anyway, just thought I'd toss this out for discussion.  I've really
> developed a taste for free software, and sooner or later, I'd like to
> spend my days working on it (and still make some money).  I'm no Alan
> Cox, though...:->

Hmmm, I agree.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk> <tom@debian.org>  http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/