Re: Random idea of the day (debian-business)

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 01:50:12AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"David" == David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:
>  David> I was envisioning something a bit broader, really, but more than
>  David> anything, I wanted to start a bit of discussion on the matter.  My
>  David> (vague) idea was a place where business users of Debian (consultants,
>  David> CD vendors, people using Debian for commercial ventures, etc..) could
>  David> discuss things, and be able to access Debian developers.  Maybe that's
>  David> too vague..
> 	Carefull. The ones with the money may well expect to control
>  more than just the purse strings.  A closer tie with Debian proper
>  would be inappripriate, and too many Debian developers being paid by
>  external interests may impact the project.
> 	Just palying devils advocate.

Yes, they might - that would be one advantage of putting them on a
seperate list where they could make lots of noise without adversely
affecting the project, should the worst case scenario be what came to

OTOH, being accountable to someone often is a good incentive to push
for that extra %10 that is usually the hardest...  And personally,
with 400 some odd developers, I don't think we run the risk of being
subsumed by Corporate America anytime soon - they're all chasing after
redhat;-) I just think it might be a friendly gesture to those who
wish to make some money with Free software.  I can't wait untill there
is more work with Free software - I love using and improving and
creating it.

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org