Re: Random idea of the day (debian-business)

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 01:50:12AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
> >>"David" == David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

>  David> I was envisioning something a bit broader, really, but more than
>  David> anything, I wanted to start a bit of discussion on the matter.  My
>  David> (vague) idea was a place where business users of Debian (consultants,
>  David> CD vendors, people using Debian for commercial ventures, etc..) could
>  David> discuss things, and be able to access Debian developers.  Maybe that's
>  David> too vague..

> 	Carefull. The ones with the money may well expect to control
>  more than just the purse strings.  A closer tie with Debian proper
>  would be inappripriate, and too many Debian developers being paid by
>  external interests may impact the project.
>
> 	Just palying devils advocate.

Yes, they might - that would be one advantage of putting them on a
seperate list where they could make lots of noise without adversely
affecting the project, should the worst case scenario be what came to
pass.

OTOH, being accountable to someone often is a good incentive to push
for that extra %10 that is usually the hardest...  And personally,
with 400 some odd developers, I don't think we run the risk of being
subsumed by Corporate America anytime soon - they're all chasing after
redhat;-) I just think it might be a friendly gesture to those who
wish to make some money with Free software.  I can't wait untill there
is more work with Free software - I love using and improving and
creating it.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org