Re: Mirrors don't look like master?

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 12:05:22PM -0800, Marc Singer wrote:
> > While I agree that binary-alpha being in slink is a good thing. What isn't a good
> > thing was that the mirrors (or at least I) wasn't told that binary-alpha was
> > moving and as such my mirror is fetching the entire damn thing again.
> >
> > I've tried subscribing to debian-mirrors twice now btw if that was where I
> > was supposed to learn of the move but both times nothing seems to have happened
> > to my subscription message. Is there a trick to joining debian-mirrors?
>
> I noticed the same thing about the alpha packages moving.  I thought I
> would be clever and mover the tree myself.  I did not count on the
> mirror I was using to be only part-way through the migration.  The
> mirror command clobbered all of my alpha stuff.
>
> I have thought some about this and have not come up with a feasible
> solution.  The only thing I can see (so far) would be to eliminate sid
> and always put the non-shipping packages in the current unstable
> release.  The only real harm here is that when we move from one
> distribution to another, there will *always* be a large archive update
> as we drop the oldest distribution and move the packages still in it
> to the next distribution.
>
> AFAICT, the only way to make this work better would be to implement
> something in rsync that understands how to move files.

I think the current system would work okay if enough notice was given to
the mirrors.

Jason tried to tell the mirrors but it seems his message to debian-mirrors
didn't make it out for some reason.

Andrew

--
Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot

Andrew Howell
Perth, Western Australia			       andrew@it.net.au