Re: STANDARD SOFTWARE COMPATABILITY

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 06:46:55PM +1300, Michael Beattie wrote:

> > Not likely, The next version is to be commercial.. (I think thats right,
> > maybe my wires are crossed.. I'll check)
>
> No it's not, but I'll need to contact the author(s).
>

> Copyright and comments follow.
>

>   Permission to copy and distribute this software and its
>   documentation without written agreement is hereby granted only for non-
>   commercial purposes.
>
> Debian is non-commercial?

Yes, but to be DFSG-free the software has to permit any use. I will have to go
into non-free.

>                        Distributing Blender 'bundled' in with ANY product
>   is considered to be a `commercial purpose'. This entire copyright notice
>   must appear in all copies of this software.
>
> This gets me... comments?

I think this will hinder the distribution of blender with Debian at all.

>   If you would like to do something with this software that this copyright
>   prohibits (such as distributing blender commercially), please contact
>   NaN.
>
> Bingo!

If you want to package it - contact them and ask if they would accept the
bundling with Debian. Of course it has to go into non-free then.

cu
	Torsten