Re: STANDARD SOFTWARE COMPATABILITY

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 1998 at 01:15:33PM +1300, Michael Beattie wrote:
> >
> > > I know of a Brilliant alternative to lightwave, by the name of "Blender",
> > > (http://www.blender.nl/) If it had a better license, I would package it.
> >
> > Mail the creators :-)
> >

> Not likely, The next version is to be commercial.. (I think thats right,
> maybe my wires are crossed.. I'll check)

No it's not, but I'll need to contact the author(s).

Copyright and comments follow.

  Permission to copy and distribute this software and its
  documentation without written agreement is hereby granted only for non-
  commercial purposes.

Debian is non-commercial?

                       Distributing Blender 'bundled' in with ANY product
  is considered to be a `commercial purpose'. This entire copyright notice
  must appear in all copies of this software.

This gets me... comments?

  IN NO EVENT SHALL Not a Number BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT,
  SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF
  THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF THE AUTHOR HAS BEEN ADVISED
  OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

  THE AUTHOR SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
  TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
  PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS.  THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED
  HEREUNDER IS ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND Not a Number HAS NO OBLIGATION TO
  PROVIDE MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

Ah... Good old Disclaimer.

  If you would like to do something with this software that this copyright
  prohibits (such as distributing blender commercially), please contact
  NaN.

Bingo!

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

               The best things in life are politically incorrect.