Re: Draft new DFSG

Hi,
>>"Jay" == James A Treacy <treacy@debian.org> writes:

 Jay> On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 03:12:34AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >>
 >> The DFSG is not in competition with any other document. This
 >> merely defines what we are. We seek to conquer noone. We seek no
 >> marlet domination. Debian is sufficient in itself.
 >>
 Jay> The last statement is an underlying assumption you make. It
 Jay> allows to take an idealistic stand without any
 Jay> compromising. There is nothing wrong with that, but your use of
 Jay> 'we' in the paragraph implies that the majority of Debian
 Jay> developers agree with you. It is not clear that that is the
 Jay> case.

	Yes, it is a statement of opinion. However, I did not just
 pick that opinion out of a hat; I have been inolved in several of
 these debates in the past, and the number of developers that came
 forth and said something very similar to what I said has lead me to
 believe that the majority of the developers were not inclined, as
 Bruce was, to go hunting for bear.

	Severla times people havce reiterated that they were
 interested in a quality *FREE* distribution, but were not interested
 really in market share, or world domination.

	Though these sentiments are by no means unanimous, I do
 believe thay are majority sentiments.

	I could be wrong, though, so I merely express this as an
 opinion.

	manoj
--
 Measure with a micrometer.  Mark with chalk.  Cut with an axe.