Re: XFree86-3.3.3 has been released

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Say what? If current X packages are not tested enough, we should test
> them more, not replace them with packages that are test even less!

I can't quite agree with you on that.

The Xfree team decided to base yet another release based on X11R6.3,
instead of moving to 6.4.  AFAIK this release of XFree is in fact their
last release based on 6.3.  I don't believe that there are really smashing
(sic.) new features present in the latest code.  And OTOH the bugfix list
does look pretty impressive.

The new code seems mostly limited to new servers for new chipsets.  That
means that it's either relatively new code or no code.  If I had a cutting
edge videocard, I'd happily go with the new, supposedly experimental, code
rather than have no server at all.  If possible bugs in the new code are a
problem, then fine, install no xserver.  There's no more stable fallback
code anyway.

I say let Branden and his X-strike force decide if they feel "can do"
about it.  I'll happily volunteer to test the packages.

Cheers,

Joost