Re: Switching to Maildir

Note that I am a qmail user and a maildir user for what its worth.

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 02:12:41PM +0300, Ilya L Ovchinnikov wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 11:35:19AM +0100, J.H.M. Dassen Ray wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 13:18:29 +0300, Ilya L Ovchinnikov wrote:
> > > What do you think about switching from Mbox to Maildir in Debian?
> >
> > Bad idea. Maildir is non-standard. While I'm all for making it easy
> > for a local administrator to use Maildir, I think it's an extremely
> > bad thing to have Maildir be the default.

Yes, its still just too non-standard, BUT, it may be very nice to
include it as the same kind of option as shadow passwords...

> > A lot of mail packages don't support it,
>
> and adding of this suppurt will be good thing

Yes, adding support would be a good thing...

> > many systems have mailspools from NFS mounts, etc.
>
> in which case unreliable mbox'es become even more unreliable

*shivers at the idea of NFS mounted Mboxs*

> > > If we switch, we would not need setgid-mail MUAs
> > This can easily be managed using suidconf.
>
> It's simple to drop setgid bit, but it breaks file locking.
> Many MUAs does not designed to work as setgids and maintainers
> do a lot of work to fix security holes which does not considered
> so by upstream authors.  IMHO, adding maildir support for all
> those MUAs is better spending of time.

They would still have to work on the same security holes, maildir or no
maildir, the easy way might be to just remove the Mbox support, but I
doubt people would be willing to do this..

All in all, a good idea, but the world is not ready yet, so lets make it
a very easy option, and wait..

Zephaniah E, Hull.