Re: Switching to Maildir

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 11:35:19AM +0100, J.H.M. Dassen Ray wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 13:18:29 +0300, Ilya L Ovchinnikov wrote:
> > What do you think about switching from Mbox to Maildir in Debian?
>
> Bad idea. Maildir is non-standard. While I'm all for making it easy for a
> local administrator to use Maildir, I think it's an extremely bad thing to
> have Maildir be the default.
> A lot of mail packages don't support it,

and adding of this suppurt will be good thing

> many systems have mailspools from NFS mounts, etc.

in which case unreliable mbox'es become even more unreliable

> > If we switch, we would not need setgid-mail MUAs
> This can easily be managed using suidconf.

It's simple to drop setgid bit, but it breaks file locking.
Many MUAs does not designed to work as setgids and maintainers
do a lot of work to fix security holes which does not considered
so by upstream authors.  IMHO, adding maildir support for all
those MUAs is better spending of time.

-- Ilya