Re: checking the release-critical bugs

Paul Slootman <paul@wau.mis.ah.nl> writes:

> On Sat 21 Nov 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Joel Klecker wrote:
> > > But alpha *is* freezing.
> >
> > Someone please tell me if alpha is making an real, official release like
> > i386 and m68k, or a developers release (whatever that might be). I'm still
> > hearing conflicting things about this.
>
> The consensus on debian-alpha is that it should be released as a
> "real, official release".  Just about every package is compiled now
> [...]

Hello,

So, everybody agree that the  Alpha port will be officially released
for slink. Brian confirmed one or two week ago, that it was the plan.

Currently the Alpha dist is still in "sid" where frozen and
unstable packages are mixed. And even if people try to upload only
slink packages in binary-alpha, the shared binary-all directory is a
link to the one of potato. Under this state, it is very difficult to
test and ensure the Alpha distribution works well for newcomers. There
is generally a fair amount of package dependencies problems due to the
mix between potato and slink.

Just in case, are the people who can make the Debian-Alpha freeze, and
put it out of sid, aware they need to do it? I perfectly understand
there can be some technical or manpower issues that delay it, but we
would be grateful to have confirmation that there is no
misunderstanding, and that the right people really have this on their
TODO list.

Best Regards,

Loic