extreme ghosts

I just got some junk mail from Symantec about a utility they have for
mass installation of software:

(1) You install software on some machine,
(2) You then multicast the hard disk image to every machine that needs it.
(3) machine specific local stuff is assigned [presumably you'd need
a dataset which relates machine address to the settings specific to
that machine -- then again, if you're using dhpc that issue might be
deferrable...].

Anyways, it occurs to me that some variant on this concept [perhaps,
in essence, a bootp client that reformats and rewrites the hard drive --
though taking advantage of multicast would be Real Nice] would be just
the thing for extreme linux.

--
Raul