Re: dhcpcd up for adoption (Was: dhcp problems)

dmartin@clifton-labs.com (Dale E. Martin) writes:

> Steve Dunham <dunham@cse.msu.edu> writes:
> > It's not out of date, dhcpcd-0.70 and dhcpcd-1.3.16 are different
> > programs (the latter was rewritten and only runs on experimental
> > kernels).  I packaged dhcpcd-1.3.7 as "dhcpcd-sv-1.3.7" but never got
> > around to working out the last details before uploading it (the
> > package doesn't have any init scripts.)  The "sv" is from the author's
> > initials.
> >
> > If nobody takes the dhcpcd-sv package, I'll try to release it ASAP,
> > but I have three projects due RSN.

> > When I last checked, the dhcp-* stuff didn't work with recent kernels.

> Well, I just got ADSL which is supposed to use DHCP (I hacked all of the
> info by hand for the moment), and I'm running 2.1.129 so I suppose I'd be a
> good candiate for dhcpcd-sv if noone else is interested.  I'm mostly only
> interested in setting up a dhcp client for the moment, if that makes any
> difference.

dhcpcd-sv is only a client program.  All that really needs to be done
is to add the init scripts and update the program to the latest
upstream version.  You can find the current package in ~dunham on
master.

If you can, try to keep the patches to "buildmsg.c", it makes the
program work without crashing on the Sparc (and probably Arm)
architecture.

The upstream site is listed in the copyright file.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu