Re: Debian (and RedHat) source package format (was Re: Qt and other)

On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 12:00:13PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
> > Redhat's source packages have advantages over Debian's? What the HELL
> > have you been smoking?
>
> It's true.  Debian doesn't indicate what you need to have installed to
> properly compile the source package.  Red Hat's does.
>
> Debian's format does have a number of other advantages over Red Hat's,
> and you did do a pretty good job of listing them.  In fact, it wouldn't
> be hard to add source dependencies.
>
> Just add Source-Depends: and Source-Conflicts: to the .dsc file, and write
> a simple tool to take advantage of this.  Perhaps even a wrapper which
> will download and install [or de-install] everything as part of building
> the package.  [Might want to have a log indicating such configuration
> changes, for later analysis and so that your system could automatically
> be restored to its original state.]
>
> A tool is necessary, because that makes it easy to file reasonable
> bug reports.

OK, it's _that_ time again. ;-)

Klee Dienes' version of dpkg has a new-and-improved source package format
that includes Source-Depends, Source-Conflicts, support for multiple
patches, multiple tar files, whatever and the kitchen sink. And it's been
there for us to enjoy it since ... oh my! since so long ago that I
just can't remember! ;-)

May someone have a look at it and fix the few remaining bugs that make it
unsuitable for release? (or explain me why that is not possible, so that
I shut my big mouth).

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es