Re: Apt problem?

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 05:10:44AM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:

> Whenever I try an update using dselect and apt, I get occasional
> failures, like this:
>
>   Get http://ftp1.us.debian.org unstable/main gdk-imlib1 [54.9k]
>   Error http://ftp1.us.debian.org unstable/main gdk-imlib1
>    404 Not Found

I too see this on occasion.

> However, when I ftp to the same site, the file is there and I can ftp
> it while the rest of the packages are being loaded.

Actually, I have found that simply hitting `I' (for install) at the main
dselect menu and trying again can result in successful download.  Try it.
No need to switch to FTP.  In fact, one of the sites to which I connect
is an FTP-only site, and I have seen this same behavior for it as well.

> I don't know where the bug is.  My guess is that it must be in the
> web server on ftp1.us.debian.org, but I have seen this on other Debian
> servers too.
>
> Does anybody have a clue?

Not I.

--
Thomas E. Vaughan                            vaughan@mail.nhn.ou.edu
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy                 home: (405) 366-8721