Re: QT non-free but becoming compatible to debian? (was Re: Qt license change)

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> 	2. The QPL is DFSG free but NOT GPL compatible.

I bet on this one.

> If 2, the question the becomes:  Is the GPL's "distributed as a normal part
> of the operating system" clause enough to allow GPL code to like the DFSG
> free but not quite GPL compatible QPL licensed Qt?  I really _REALLY_ do not
> want to resort to answering that question.  If at all possible I would much
> prefer that we figure out what the problems are with GPL compatibility and
> ask Troll Tech to address these issues.

The only way Troll Tech can do anything is to use GPL. I don't believe
that they want to do that. GPL states clearly that it should be GPL or
a part of the OS.

Is it posible to get the KDE people stick an execption[0] to the GPL on
all the core KDE? Then we could have the core of KDE in main!

That leaves the code borrowed for KDE frontends a such things outside
of Debian.

0) This software is licensed under the GPL with the a execption to
sec. XXX alowing to link with libraries under every license conforming
to the Open Source definition...

Peter er den mindst gamle af de gammeldags usenettere, og moderator på
den eneste modererede gruppe i dk.*, so there.
                                                    - citat RockBear