Re: QT non-free but becoming compatible to debian? (was Re: Qt license change)

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> 	2. The QPL is DFSG free but NOT GPL compatible.

I bet on this one.

> If 2, the question the becomes:  Is the GPL's "distributed as a normal part
> of the operating system" clause enough to allow GPL code to like the DFSG
> free but not quite GPL compatible QPL licensed Qt?  I really _REALLY_ do not
> want to resort to answering that question.  If at all possible I would much
> prefer that we figure out what the problems are with GPL compatibility and
> ask Troll Tech to address these issues.

The only way Troll Tech can do anything is to use GPL. I don't believe
that they want to do that. GPL states clearly that it should be GPL or
a part of the OS.

Is it posible to get the KDE people stick an execption[0] to the GPL on
all the core KDE? Then we could have the core of KDE in main!

That leaves the code borrowed for KDE frontends a such things outside
of Debian.

0) This software is licensed under the GPL with the a execption to
sec. XXX alowing to link with libraries under every license conforming
to the Open Source definition...

--
Peter er den mindst gamle af de gammeldags usenettere, og moderator på
den eneste modererede gruppe i dk.*, so there.