Re: Qt license change

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> The QPL requires a commercial license for proprietary apps..
> The GPL does not allow commercial apps but doesn't offer other licensing.
>
> Boils down to the same thing:  If the terms are not good enough, you need to
> contact the authors for a different license.

Why can't I write it so clear :)

In this matter QPL and GPL are just the same crap.

> Not so sure we need to push at all.  I think there MIGHT be a need to ask
> them if they'd consider allowing patches to be included in the source rahter
> than seperately, but I'm not convinced yet that'll be in conflict with the
> GPL.

Why?

DFSG allows this scheme (its is strictly marked as a compromis, but
allows it). Debian dosn't even suffer from this scheme, we're already
shipping upstream sources AND patches.

There is the case with _selling_ Qt. But I don't think that a problem
for TrollTech, they will always offer the cheapest Qt Free Edition.

--
Peter er den mindst gamle af de gammeldags usenettere, og moderator på
den eneste modererede gruppe i dk.*, so there.