Re: Qt license change

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 08:53:50AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 04:14:44PM +0100, luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr wrote:
> > i am not entirely sure here, but it seems to me that you can produce a
> > commercial app with GPL stuff, and sell it. I think with QPL you have to buy
> > their commercial Qt version to developp apps. Is this DFSG free ? are you sure
> > of it ? if yes i think this is ok, but as i understood thinks up to now, is
> > that for a library to be free you also have to have free developpement tools
> > for it. Also i think that the QPL don't agree with the non discrimination
> > clause of the DFSG, altough i wish some more informed person would look into
> > it.
>
> You can charge whatever you feel is reasonable for a GPL app, but nobody
> paying for it is restricted from giving it away freely.  This isn't all that
> different from what the Qt license says really, other than that they say the
> money is for distribution, not as part of a sale.  Different words, same
> meaning.

they should say it explicitly then, no need in confussing people.

> > in this case i think the QPL discriminate against people wanting to write
> > commercial software with Qt.
>
> The GPL does too, and in the same way.

You just say you can sell GPLed software, so the GPL don't make this
discrimination.

and the FSF has said that it consider that you can sell GPLed software, what is
the position on Troll Tech on this ?

you have me half convinced here, but still i would prefer a clear position in
the license, but then this is only a draft ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER