Re: Qt license change

luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr writes:

> but there is still the problem on commercial software production
> with Qt, you have to buy Qt commercial to produce commercial Qt
> products. I am not entirely sure but they were comments saying that
> this is not FDSG compliant. and i seem to remember there is some
> limitation on this, something about fee you can charge, or other
> such.

Under the DFSG guidelines, restricting proprietary use is OK.  Don't
confuse that with licenses tha restrict commercial use - they aren't
allowed.  Remember, we allow the GPL, which can't be used for
proprietary apps either.

The DFSG guidelines are a good compromise oriented towards people that
want to write DFSG-free software.  It isn't a good compromise for
people who want to write proprietary applications.  The *BSD projects
have licensing guidelines that are more in-tune with people who wish
to write proprietary stuff (ie. they like BSD-style copyrights, not
the GPL).

Cheers,

 - Jim