Re: binaries compiled on slink don't run anywhere else

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 07:16:06PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> Binary packages compiled on Hamm don't run on Bo, nor do all Bo packages
> run on Rex. When you build packages, you often have to make sure that the
> libraries you build with are the same as the ones on the target machine.

Backward compatibility cannot be the problem. For instance binaries compiled
against libc-5.3.35 didn't run on libc-5.2.18. But the version number
changed here. Why didn't it change with 2.0.7u?

> Many of the fixes in 2.0.7u come from backward ports of changes made to
> 2.1, so this problem isn't going to go away with future releases, and
> stepping back to an older release only forces us to live with the bugs in
> that version that are no longer present in 2.0.7u and 2.1.
>
> It seems to me that we are better off to "bite the bullet" now, as it will
> have to be dealt with when we move to 2.1 in any case, and moving
> backwards doesn't help.

Okay, but then we should call it 2.1.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Manager of the Western Branch Office, Datenrevision GmbH
work: Cuxhavener Str. 36, D-21149 Hamburg