Re: intent to package loadwatch

"Jules Bean" <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> Well, man setrlimit will give you the lowdown on how it works, at a low
> level.
>
> The manual page of your favourite shell will explain how to use it (most
> shells have a 'ulimit' command).
>
> On consideration, however, it isn't as useful as loadwatch.
>
> Jules

OK, I wondered if that's what you meant. It's not that the ulimit stuff
isn't as useful - they have different goals.  The job spawned with
loadwatch is free (actually _encouraged_ :-)) to use as much cpu as it
wants.  But, loadwatch gets the job completely out of the run queue when
something else starts loading on the system, so the users never even notice
that background job is running.

The current realization of loadwatch is very simple, and there are some
outstanding issues.  Having more than one loadwatched job, for instance,
won't work too well.  The author and I are discussing how to address some
of these outstanding issues.  But, it is _super_ useful right now if you do
want to run a single thing like rc5des in the background, and it's tiny, so
I'm going to go ahead and package it.

Later,
	Dale
--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |