Re: Policy for /usr/doc/<pkg-name>-doc

In article <[🔎] 19981106193011.B21984@efis.ucr.ac.cr>, "Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 05:50:32PM +0000, Rob Browning wrote:
>> But what about the copyright file of the -doc package?  If you use
>> the symlink approach, then there you've got a namespace collision
>> between /usr/doc/package-doc/copyright and
>> /usr/doc/package/copyright.  If you just leave the copyright file
>> out of the -doc package, that's a no-no -- at least when the -doc
>> package is standalone.

> What about this: /usr/doc/<package>-doc has to exist and it has to
> be a real directory, it can't be a symlink into
> /usr/doc/<package>. The package <package>-doc puts files/directories
> in /usr/doc/<package> or a symlink in /usr/doc/<package> pointing to
> /usr/doc/<package>-doc

Um, for one thing, if package foo and package foo-doc have the same
copyright, *and* if package foo-doc *depends* on package foo (not
generally a good idea, IMHO), then a symlink is the best way.  The
copyright is the same, the debian changelog is the same, and thus it
conserves inodes.

Let's assume that we *don't* want to have foo-doc depend on foo.  In
that case, the symlink isn't going to work.

I think the best general solution, in cases where there is a separate
documentation package (i.e., there are lots of documentation, and
someone might want to install the package on a firewall), is
implemented by bind (more or less).   In this case, foo-doc contains:

  /usr/doc/foo-doc/copyright
  /usr/doc/foo-doc/changelog.Debian.gz
  /usr/doc/foo-doc/README.Debian [ mention to look in /usr/doc/foo ]
  /usr/doc/foo                   [ in case pkg foo isn't installed ]
  /usr/doc/foo/...               [ documentation files             ]

Note: bind doesn't have a README.Debian .

The feature of this approach is that you tell the newbie, "For help on
any package, look in /usr/doc/<package>."