Re: debian-devel-digest Digest V98 #1025

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Baltasar Cevc wrote:

> I got this message when I had a wrong X server installed...
> My Debian 2 didn't copy and didn't make a link the real server to X
> (directory: /usr/bin/X11). My system runs X as servers and produced this
> message before I had copied my server (XF86_S3 for my S3 Trio 64V; if you do
> not have a card with a special server the XF86_SVGA should be ok).
> Try to rename X to X.old and then copy your server to X:
>   cd /usr/bin/X11
>   mv X X.old
>   cp XF86_SVGA X

Noooooo!  You mustn't do this.  If you do, you'll be faced with a broken
system the next time you update the package that provides /usr/X11R6/bin/X

In Debian, /usr/bin/X11/X is a wrapper that obviates the need to run the
entire xserver setuid root.  Instead of symlinking (which would have been
more correct in the scheme you propose) this wrapper program reads
/etc/X11/Xserver.  This file's top line holds the filename of the xserver
that should be run on the display.  This scheme allows for some other
interesting features too (like controlling who can start X.)

Anyway, one of the problems with the current beta-pre-releases of the
Debian X packages (you have been warned) is that the top line of
/etc/X11/Xserver isn't configured correctly by the xserver-* postinst.

So, to fix this, edit /etc/X11/Xserver and change:

  /usr/bin/X11/

into:

  /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA

(substitute a different servername appropriately.)

Cheers,

Joost