Re: debian-devel-digest Digest V98 #1025

-----Original Message-----
From: David J. Thompson <david@x8b4e542e.dhcp.okstate.edu>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Date: Donnerstag, 5. November 1998 21:52
Subject: Re: debian-devel-digest Digest V98 #1025

>Hi,
>
>I'm not a developer (yet), but I've been running slink and have not been
>able to get any of the 3.3.2.3a-* incarnations of X to run.
>
>Wdm/xdm won't run, and startx gives this message: {
>
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>
>waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>[snip]
>
>It goes on forever with many lines worth of the same thing.
>
>Then at the end of the message...
>
>[snip]
>_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
>..
>giving up.
>xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
>server
>
>waiting for X server to shut down
>
>xinit:  Server error.
>
>}
>
>I have these packages installed {
>
>wmaker          0.20.2-1
>wmaker-data     0.7-1
>xbase           3.3.2.3a-7
>xbase-clients   3.3.2.3a-7
>xext            3.3.2.3a-7
>xfonts-100dpi   3.3.2.3a-7
>xfonts-75dpi    3.3.2.3a-7
>xfonts-base     3.3.2.3a-7
>xfonts-pex      3.3.2.3a-7
>xfonts-scalable 3.3.2.3a-7
>xlib6           3.3.2.3a-7
>xlib6g          3.3.2.3a-7
>xlib6g-dev      3.3.2.3a-7
>xpm4g           3.4j-0.6
>xserver-common  3.3.2.3a-7
>xserver-svga    3.3.2.3a-7
>
>}
>
>Have I missed a package I need?  Is there something obvious I've misssed?
>I have been watching debian-devel@lists.debian.org for a problem like
>this, but I guessed that since we are now in the freeze I had better speak
>up or forever hold my peace.
>
>Cheers.

Hi,
I got this message when I had a wrong X server installed...
My Debian 2 didn't copy and didn't make a link the real server to X
(directory: /usr/bin/X11). My system runs X as servers and produced this
message before I had copied my server (XF86_S3 for my S3 Trio 64V; if you do
not have a card with a special server the XF86_SVGA should be ok).
Try to rename X to X.old and then copy your server to X:
  cd /usr/bin/X11
  mv X X.old
  cp XF86_SVGA X
I hope this will help you